Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The Catching Up Blog Post.

Wow, there is so much going on in the stitching world. I've spent a good bit of my afternoon playing with my pets and catching up on Facebook and stitching blogs. I really do enjoy reading what other people are doing and seeing their great pictures.

Now, to catch up on things I've left out or run out of time for on the last few posts.
First up, I joined the Winter SAL on Facebook several months ago. It is for people who are stitching designs from certain companies, or using specialty floss or fabric from certain companies. They have all banded together. You get to learn about the products from their creators and they also offer discounts, advice and have little mini contests. It is so much fun and I have been introduced to new companies and products. I also won a little chart that I absolutely loved just by posting and I want to share that with you.

The chart is from KLT Charting, Blackwork Cat, and is available here
Now I've only done one small piece of blackwork in the past, and I really enjoyed it, but I knew this would be a little more challenging for me. So, this was a few months back, and yes, I started it. I loved it. In fact, I finished it!
I'll post pics below but I have to give the disclaimer that I didn't have the chart in front of me when I finished the tail. I had already frogged it, and knew the stitches to use so I just went ahead since it was the stitching I had with me and I wasn't going to let a little thing like not having the chart with me stop me. It still turned out beautifully, though not quite as charted.

I had so much fun doing this that I decided to take part in the Owl's sal from the same company. One owl, every two weeks until you have 12 of them. Each filled in differently. There is the option to put them on a branch but I haven't decided about that part yet. Here is a picture of my first started owl. I have to frog one of the eyes since it appears to be off by one stitch, so be warned, and it isn't finished yet. Yes, I am a slow stitcher. I've pulled him out of the qsnap to frog so he is a little wrinkly.


This is available here, and yes, there is still plenty of time to join.

I am still stitching mostly one handed, so all of this is taking mountains of time. Since I'm doing most of my stitching on my 3 off days progress can seem so slow. But it is fun and that is what matters.

I've had so many comments and posts about the Seasonal Tree's cross stitch kit that I went ahead and tested it out. Too large to stitch comfortably I went ahead and cut off the first panel. I will be framing them in 4 separate frames anyway, and this made it more convenient and just easy.

It stitches up easily, and just fine. The needles that came with it seemed too 'tight' in the 11 count holes so I switched to my usual size 26 and it is a breeze to work. The floss is really nice, no problems there. I did take it out of the qsnap and start stitching it in hand. I'm still a little too sore to do much of that, but again, it stitched up a treat that way. I really like how easy it is. Just pick your color and go. I could cross country on this if I've a mind to. No worries about losing count since there is no counting. You may have to click on the picture to see the actual stitching. I think the business in the heavily stitched areas could be a problem later, with so many color's in front of me like that, but I will let you know. For the moment I am completely happy with the kit.

But I am missing some of my confetti filled larger projects and plan to get out one of those wips soon.

I hope you are all having a wonderful time with your stitching. It is in the 20's here, so I am going to end this and go curl up under an afghan and watch tv or possibly even stitch!

Happy stitching everyone
Peace
Karen

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been watching to see about the kit. I've ordered one from Amazon and already started it. I'm loving it. Your cat is great. I'm happy to find this company with the blackwork charts. Your owl is adorable.
Tammi

Unknown said...

Your cat is amazing -- Love it. Have not tried blackwork - but have always had an interested in it. Looking forward to watching your Owls. Thank you for sharing the link to the site.

Emma/Itzy said...

Love the cat - it's beautiful!

Mama Dog said...

Thank you all for commenting. I fell in love with the little blackwork cat and can definitely see myself ordering some of her other blackwork charts. The owls are adorable and from what I understand one or two of these will be done in blackwork as well. The owner/designer is really a lovely person. I had a question or two and she was so nice and helpful.

Julie said...

Blackwork always looks so elegant. Your two pieces are super.

Von said...

I haven't tried blackwork myself, but love seeing your projects! Stay warm and snuggly in this cold weather!

Mama Dog said...

Thank you. It is cold, nothing better than curling up with a blanket and some stitching.

Renee said...

Beautiful progress! I do hope your wrist is feeling better!